Stealing Thunder…


So, I have a propensity for ending up in the Emergency Room or ruining holidays and graduations by getting sick, or basically just making sure my injury/illness is as inconvinient to everyone else as is humanly possible.

I fractured my elbow the day before my older sister’s highschool graduation-I was in the OR when she was walking across the stage

I dislocated and relocated my ankle during karate, trapping a few tendons between the bones, while my family was all down visiting my brother for a concert at his college. I ended up in the ER with a very nice karate mom I didn’t know.

I got mono my last year in college, over Thanksgiving.

My appendicitis and following surgery was not over any major events, surprisingly, but I’ve still ended up in the ER more than all of my siblings combined.

I’ve sprained my ankles so many times I’ve lost count, I’m in the double digits for both of them. Same goes for number of broken toes.

The fact of the matter is, I’m a walking hazard, bent on stealing the thunder of my siblings or any special event within traveling distance.

This year, I sprained my left ankle the DAY OF my trip down to visit friends in NC. I had a fantastic time regardless, though I am still bummed that I wasn’t able to wear all the cute boots I had for my outfits.

It’s not enough that I’m pregnant and dealing with all the joys (read: indegestion, constipation, gas) that comes with that, oh no, I just HAD to up the ante. I began having sharp stabbing pain when breathing underneath my left breast on Saturday-I thought I had my bra on too tight and ignored it. It came back intermittently Sunday afternoon, but I was so excited about feeling my Potato squirm for the first time that I, again, ignored it.

I couldn’t ignore it Sunday night, it was constant, I was having trouble catching my breath, and it had spread to my sternum and shoulder. I went to the doc Monday, he sent me for blood work to rule out a pulmonary embolism, and then prescribed me pain meds. The pain continued to get worse, he upped the pain meds and told me to go to the ER if it didn’t improve. Tuesday morning around 3 am I finally woke up Brian to take me to the ER because the entire left side of my ribcage felt like it was seizing and I could not breathe. More  blood work, more meds, nothing touched the stabbing pain, but the achy pains went away. They sent me home.

My guess is pleurisy, thats what my first doc thinks as well although nobody can figure out where it came from. Regardless, it is finally improving a little bit. I can talk in complete sentences, I can walk without gasping, I can move without feeling like my left lung is getting murdered.

AAAAANNNDDD today I lose my voice.

GAHHH!! I had better be better by ThanksChristGivingMas because I REFUSE to be stuck at home or in some hospital somewhere this year! I DON’T WANT THE THUNDER! TAKE IT BACK!


**Thanks for all the prayers though, I’ve really appreciated them 🙂 And kudos to my hubby who has been fantastic at taking care of me and putting up with my grumpy miserable stubborn self.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s